Pecan Crusted Fried Trout
- 4 Steelhead Trout Fillets
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
<< Back to Recipes
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine pecans, cornmeal, and spices, pulsing until nuts are coarsely ground. Pour into a shallow pan; set aside.
- Pour buttermilk into another shallow pan. Place fillets in buttermilk.
- Pour oil into a large cast-iron skillet to a depth of 1/8 inch. (You may not need all the oil, but you may have to cook fish in batches.) Heat oil over medium heat.
- Remove fish from buttermilk. Roll fillets in cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
- Place fillets, flesh-side down, into the hot oil. Turn fish after 3 to 4 minutes and cook skin side for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a cookie sheet lined with paper towels and place in a warm oven until you are ready to serve.