Pecan Crusted Trout with Orange Rosemary Sauce
- 4 Natural or Ruby Red Steelhead Trout
- 2 c pecans (about 8 oz.)
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 c fresh orange juice
- 1 c dry wine
- 2/3 c shallots
- 1/4 c white wine vinegar
- 8- 5 inch long parsley stems
- 1 1/2 TB fresh lemon juice
- 1 large fresh thyme sprig
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 c whipping cream
- 3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
- 4 TB olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into match stick-sized strips
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 c thinly sliced savoy cabbage
- 2 TB unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh chives
- Combine pecans and 1 TB flour in processor. Grind pecans finely; transfer to plate. Place remaining flour on another plate. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Dip 1 fillet into flour to coat; shake off excess. Using pastry brush, brush flesh side with egg whites. Place fillets, egg white side down, onto pecans; press to coat with nuts. Transfer to waxed paper-lined baking sheet, pecan side down. Repeat with remaining fillets; chill.
- Combine first 7 ingredients (for sauce) in medium saucepan. Boil 10 minutes; add rosemary. Boil until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes. Strain sauce into another medium saucepan, pressing on solids in sieve. Add cream; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature up to 2 hours.
- Heat 2 TB oil in large skillet over high heat. Add carrot and bell pepper, toss 2 minutes. Add cabbage; toss until cabbage wilts, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Melt 1 TB butter with 1 TB oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Place 2 fillets, pecan side down, into skillet. Cook until crust is golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using spatula, turn fillets over. Cook until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining butter, oil and fish.
- Whisk sauce over low heat to rewarm (do not boil). Divide vegetables among plates. Top with fish. Spoon sauce around fish and vegetables. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.
Adapted from: Bon Appetit, April 1996
<< Back to Recipes